For many, the most important thing at work is its importance to society. This significance is strongly present in municipal work.
For example, nursing, education and infrastructure maintenance are areas where you don’t need much imagination to see that your work matters.
Why work in the municipality?
One organization - thousands of positions
Another important element in the job is also the opportunity for personal growth and development. In the municipality, you can advance within the field, from one field to another or to supervisory positions without a change of employer. Training for competence development is available.
The municipal sector is also less dependent than the private sector for economic cycles in the short term. Municipalities are responsible employers and investment in the work atmosphere is an important element.
Info about municipal work
A person employed by a municipality or a municipal federation is hired for either an employment relationship or an employment contract. The main difference between an employment relationship and an employment contract is the nature of the legal relationship. The incumbent has a public law relationship with the employer, while the employee has a private law relationship. Tasks involving the exercise of official authority are performed on an employment relationship. Otherwise, the staff will be hired for an employment contract. In municipalities, personnel must have sufficient proficiency in Finnish and/or Swedish to perform their duties.
For partners in co-operation
Omatyö - Kuntarekry.fi informs the youth and those who work among the youth about work possibilities in the municipal sector. From these sides you can find information about municipal work. Omatyö - Kuntarekry.fi -work is funded by Association of Finnish Municipalities, KT Local government employers, KeVa, MuniFin and Avaintyönantajat AVAINTA ry. The work is carried out by FCG Talent Oy.
Omatyö - Kuntarekry.fi is influencing communication, that is trying to:
- get the young future professionals and the municipal employers to find each other
- intrigue youth about diverse work opportunities in the municipal sector
- attract them to apply to municipalities and cities
- support that municipalities finds skilled employees also in the future
Omatyö - Kuntarekry.fi -influencing work
- we create a kuntarekry.fi/omatyö databank for the youth, which provides information about working in municipal sector and tools for career choices, getting into working life and applying for the jobs
- we provide and share content about municipal work to social media that is interesting to the youth
- we create material and organise events for municipal employers, TE-service employees, student counsellors and youth workers
- we participate in national influencing campaings (for example Responsible summer job)
Responsible summer job
Responsible summer job -campaign helps employers to develop their summer work practices and provide the young person with a successful summer work experience. For a young person, a successful summer work experience gives them confidence in themselves and in the future. It creates a positive image of the employer and its industry. As an employer, you benefit from the work input of enthusiastic summer employees and fresh insights and ideas.